Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Roughies: Fright Fest 2011

October is fast approaching and, with that, another annual month of horror movies to watch and "note" about. Last year was all the Exorcist movies (including the alternate cut of the prequel). I did something the October before that, but I can't remember.

Though I got through all the Exorcist movies watched and wrote (only lapped 3 days into November, I believe), I learned some lessons from the experience. That writing about movies you like can be hard in the sense of fairness (The Exorcist). That bad movies, really bad movies, can nearly kill your desire to continue forth on your proposed journey (Exorcist II: The Heretic). That, if you can take a leap of faith, you may discover a lost treasure and revive your passion (Exorcist III). That watching and writing about, in essence, the same movie twice, though immensely interesting, can be......a bit of a drag.

The biggest issue, though, was time. I had 5 Exorcist movies. October has 4 weeks. I had to watch the movie. Then write about it, which could take hours for a single note (The Exorcist II note took forever). Some editing. Pics. Rinse and repeat 4 more times.

The Horror-movie-a-thon is back, but I decided to go about it differently. First, I'm starting early and not flying by the seat of my pants. I've already settled on a set of movies, which was harder than I imagined due to several options I drew up. The first movie is done as far as getting most of the content down on paper/MS Word. I watched the movie. Then I rewatched it while simultaneously typing my write-up. Aside from a few pauses here and there to finish typing my thoughts/commentary on any given scene, I finished when the movie finished. The conclude with thoughts on the movie as a whole.

So far, it seems more efficient. Watching the movie, a second time, as I type helps me remember more of the movie's ongoings. This provides a longer note / more commentary (the first movie's draft is a single sentence shy of 5 pages!), but it should be good. Or, I should say, I hope it's good.

I plan to watch/write up another movie or two before heading back and finalizing the first movie's review.

Stay Tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Writing for other people's pleasure is one of the most difficult and time-consuming things that anybody does. (Which is why, perhaps, I haven't done much of it at all recently). I always enjoy your movie reviews though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am excited for the coming reviews.

    ReplyDelete